Helping Employees Stand Up For Their Rights
Some employers take advantage of their workers. They think they hold all the cards. But as an employee, you have specific rights and legal protections. Speaking up and taking legal action is scary, but the law is on your side.
At Nathan Soowal, P.A., our employment attorneys with experience on both sides of these issues. Our background in employer defense helps us advocate effectively for Florida workers in many areas of employment and labor law.
Wage And Hour Law: Getting The Pay You Deserve
The federal Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA) governs compensation and working conditions. We can advocate for you in wage and hour claims and labor violations, such as:
- Failing to pay overtime past 40 hours
- Forcing you to work off the clock
- Misclassifying your job to avoid paying overtime
- Failing to provide mandated work breaks
- Illegally docking your paychecks
- Paying less than minimum wage
- Tip pool violations by management
In addition to pursuing the back pay you are owed, we can represent you in legal action if your employer retaliates in any way. You cannot be fired, demoted or harassed for filing an FLSA claim.
Disability Discrimination And Accommodation
Under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), employers cannot discriminate on the basis of a physical or mental disability. ADA claims fall into two categories:
- Disability discrimination: Employers cannot single out people with disabilities in hiring, pay, job assignments, promotions, discipline, layoffs, etc. You may be entitled to back pay and other damages such as emotional distress.
- Failure to accommodate: Employers must make reasonable accommodations to enable a disabled employee to perform their job. This could range from adaptive equipment or accessibility upgrades to flexible work hours or modified duties. Under the ADA, employers must engage in good faith with the employee to try to find solutions. Too often, they flatly reject a reasonable request for accommodation.
Other Employment Law Advocacy
We can represent you in other employment matters, such as:
- Employment discrimination on the basis of age, race, religion, ethnicity or gender
- Workplace sexual harassment by a co-worker, supervisor or owner
- Wrongful termination or retaliation for whistleblowing or filing claims
- Restrictive covenant disputes such as those involving noncompete or nondisclosure agreements
We take the time to listen to your story and advise you of your legal options.
A Former Employer Defense Lawyer Fighting For You
Mr. Soowal previously worked for a defense law firm at which he represented corporate clients in FLSA and ADA cases. He knows your rights and remedies as an employee. He knows the employers’ obligations and the strategies they may use to deny your compensation or accommodations. His insights work in your favor as we hold them accountable under state and federal laws.
Employer consulting: Lawyers Nathan Soowal and Chelsea Bilello also counsel employers on FLSA compliance, the interactive process to accommodate disabilities and other employment matters to resolve claims and mitigate the risk of lawsuits.
Call Us Today For Caring Legal Support
The idea of filing a claim against your employer can be terrifying. We will explain your rights and help you decide what action to take. We are always accessible to our clients, and we will support you at every step. We handle cases throughout Florida. Call us today at 866-335-1513 or contact us online.